Stainless Steel Large Diameter Tapcon
Two diameters are available in the 410 stainless steel: the 3/8” and 1/2”. The 5/8” and 3/4” are manufactured only using the zinc plated grade 5 material.
One head style is available, which is referred to as a hex serrated washer head. The serration on the underside of the hex washer head is designed to prevent anchor back-out. Dimensions of the head are as follows:
|Diameter of Anchor||Hex Head Diameter||Washer Diameter|
Each head is stamped with a letter designating the length of the anchor. This identification is required to allow for inspection that can verify the embedment depth of the anchor. The letter code identifies the length of the anchor is greater than the first number and less than the second number.
|CODE||LENGTH OF ANCHOR|
|A||1-1/2” < 2”|
|B||2” < 2-1/2”|
|C||2-1/2” < 3”|
|D||3” < 3-1/2”|
|E||3-1/2” < 4”|
|F||4” < 4-1/2”|
|G||4-1/2” < 5”|
|H||5” < 2-1/2”|
|I||5-1/2” < 6”|
|J||6” < 6-1/2”|
Hole Diameter in Fixture
The predrilled hole in the fixture must be larger than the diameter of the designated diameter of the anchor being installed. This will ensure that the anchor will pass through the hole and into the base material. Below is a table showing the hole diameter in the fixture and the anchor diameter:
|DIAMETER OF LDT||FIXTURE HOLE DIAMETER|
Each diameter of anchor must be installed into the base material a minimum distance for the anchor to obtain minimum holding values. Depending on the quality and strength of the base material that the anchor is being installed, deeper embedment may increase holding values.
|S. S. LDT Diameter||Minimum Embedment|
Depth of Hole
The hole must be drilled to a depth which will ensure that the anchor does not bottom out in the hole and will allow space for any dust that is created during the installation process to fall into and out of the way. It is recommended the depth of the hole should no less than the following:
|S. S. LDT Diameter||Depth of Hole|
Diameter of Masonry Bit
The bit used to install the anchors should have a carbide tip, meet ANSI standard B212.15-1994 and be used in a hammer drill that is set in the hammer and rotation mode. The diameter of the bit is smaller than the designated diameter of the anchor.
|Diameter of Anchor||Bit Diameter|
Concrete – Light Weight Concrete
- Drill a hole in the concrete using the proper diameter carbide bit for the diameter of the anchor being installed. Drill the hole a minimum of 1” deeper than the anchor embedment.
- Insert anchor into the hole and tighten until fully seated, using an impact wrench or using a socket wrench by hand. Be sure not to over torque.
Hollow or Grout-Filled CMU ( for 3/8” or1/2”)
- Drill a hole in the base material a minimum of 1” deeper than the embedment depth of the anchor using the correct diameter carbide tipped bit for the diameter of LDT being installed.
- Insert the anchor into the hole and then tighten the anchor by hand with a socket wrench until fully seated. Make sure that anchor is not over torqued.
You can purchase LDT Tapcons from us here.
|LDT Diameter||Bit Diameter|
After the correct diameter hole has been drilled in the concrete it must be cleaned of all dust and debris. This can be done using a vacuum, wire brush or compressed air.
The hole needs to be drilled a minimum of 1/4” deeper than the large diameter will penetrate the concrete. This extra space at the bottom of the hole ensures that the LDT will not bottom out in the hole and allows space for the dust created during the tapping process to fall into and out of the way.
|Diameter of Anchor||Minimum Embedment Depth|
Installations Instructions for LDTs
WARNING – Failure to follow these instructions can result in serious personal injury. For any concerns or questions regarding proper installation, application or appropriate use of the large diameter tapcon, call the technical department of the manufacturer, ITW/Redhead, at 1-800-899-7890. Always wear safety glasses that meet ANSI standards. Using the wrong diameter drill bit will affect the holding values and may cause failure.
- Select the proper diameter, head style, and length of large diameter Tapcon screw.
- Choose proper diameter drill bit for the diameter of the anchor being installed.
- Drill hole ¼” deeper than the tapcon anchor is embedded in the base material.
- Drill hole. To ensure proper drill bit length and depth of the hole, refer to the selection chart.
- Drive anchor.
Best Masonry AnchorsGet the job done right the first time by using the best masonry anchors for the application. A mason …Nov 24th 2020
Best Cinder Block FastenersFastening to Cinder Block Cinder block …Jun 16th 2020
Best Brick AnchorsMale or Female Anchor? Female anchors would require the spotting of the anchor and then place th …Feb 21st 2019